Thursday, May 6, 2010

Scene 3 - Old Man Sits On Tree Stump


This scene comprises of the old man walking over a tree stump, which is almost as tall as he is, and then jumping up onto it to sit down. This is the first time the character comes down off of the flat path and walks on some more uneven terrain, because of this I used a different footstep sound, to portray that what was under his feet was a different texture and consistency.

The camera in this scene is quite high up and follows the old man as he walks down from the path to the tree, once he starts to turn around to jump up onto the tree, the camera changes position as to give the watcher a better view of the jump, as from the original angle you were unable to get a decent perception of depth.

To animation the scene, I first used footstep mode to have the old man walk down to the tree, I achieve his path by using the bend variable of the footstep mode to arch him around and through the hole in the fence, once I had done this I key framed the old man turning around and jumping using the auto key feature.

I had a problem in this scene with actually making the old man jump upwards, as in my initial attempts he seemed quite adamant that he would not move up and down, only side to side. If I am brutally honest I am not entirely sure how I managed to get him to jump in the end, after having opened this scene one afternoon to attempt to work on it some more, the old man had decided he was willing to cooperate and would jump up onto the tree. I am very happy with how the jump came out; I paid a lot of attention on getting him to bend his knees to show that the muscles in his legs were ready to push out a lot of force. I also made sure that he wobbled slightly upon landing on the tree, and did not just stop in his tracks, as this would have looked very unnatural.


No comments:

Post a Comment